Flood protection and near-natural
Development of the Stichelbach in Vellern

Since 2008, construction measures for flood protection and near-natural development have been carried out along the Stichelbach in Vellern. The aim is to retain floods in a near-natural way and to increase the diversity of biotopes. The Stichelbach should be able to develop freely and dynamically.

The state of North Rhine-Westphalia covers 80 percent of the costs, the remaining 20 percent are refinanced from compensation payments from the "Obere Brede / Tuttenbrock" industrial estate in Beckum.